[ROLSS] GERB-2 reprocessing status

Nicolas Clerbaux Nicolas.Clerbaux at oma.be
Fri Oct 20 17:10:00 GMT 2006

Dear GERB data users,

This is just to inform you about reprocesing status at RMIB before the next
week meeting.

The reprocessing period covers 1 Feb. 2004, when MSG-1 was declared
operational, to end of march 2006, when the "Edition 1 software" has been
implemented in the near real time processing. The data from 2003 (satellite
at 10.5W) will be reprocessed in a second time (TBC).

We have started the reprocessing activities in september by a complete
rewriting of our MSG1 SEVIRI archive on LTO3 tapes (about 50 days of SEVIRI
data/tape). During this preliminary operation we have made the archive as
complete as possible by retrieving the missing data to the UMARF, the
EUMETSAT archive. The clearsky reflectance images (which are the reference
for the cloud retrieval) have been reprocessed for the entire period
(2004-2006).

We have now initiated the actual GERB data reprocessing. It has been decided
to reprocess backward in time starting from the 31 March 2006, at least in a
first time. You can check the current status of the reprocessing on our web
page in the 'news" section (you may need to scroll a bit)

http://gerb.oma.be

The reprocessing factor is currently about 4, meaning that 4 days of data are
reprocessed in 1 day. We can then expect that the 26 months will be
reprocessed in about 5 months. We still have to validate the reprocessed
data, to  renamed them  "Edition-1", and transferred them back to the RAL.

It is possible to reprocess some period in priority. I think that Jacqui has
already collected your wishes and is setting up a plan for the reprocessing.

Have a good week-end,

Nicolas.

--
Ir. Nicolas CLERBAUX
Institut Royal Meteorologique de Belgique,
Mobile : +32 473 423364       E-mail :  nicolas.clerbaux at oma.be